Posted by Morricab (R) on August 23, 2007 at 08:13:25
Brad Morricab is the reference in Switzerland for reviews. He lives in Zurich.
He is a really great guy who help you to do the best choice in audio components.
I have contacted him many times.Hybrid amplifiers :
- Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000 (hard to find, not too expensive, huge and powerful with a great sound. Can be found used only)
- Sphinx Project 14 MKIII (go only for the MK-III and look in Europe where they are available from time to time...especially in Holland and Germany. Great sound, plenty of grunt Class A to the first 20 watts. Again used only).
- Sphinx Project 16: Very rare (only about 20 units were made) 100 Watt pure Class A hybrid. One of the nicest sounding amps I have ever lessonned to)
- LLano Phoenix (Used only. Brutally powerful and supposed to be quite good. Affordable)
- Moscode 600 or the new one (Old one is cheap and powerful. New one might sound better. Both are pretty good)
- Butler Audio 2250 (I think) (Supposed to be good and fairly priced)
- Counterpoint NPM monos (Used only and make sure they have been updated!)
- Aria (former Counterpoint guy making good sounding hybrids again)
- Monarchy Audio SE250 (inexpensive, no feedback, class A up to 50 watts, should sound great!)
If you want tubes again then:
- Blue Circle amps (from affordable to expensive and have a good reputation regarding their sound).
- Newest Audio Research amps (Classic PP pentode amps)
- CAT JL2 (100 watt triode PP)
- KR audio DX monoblocks (100 watt parallel SET, no feedback!)
- ASL Hurricane (100 watts triode PP)